19 January 2012

Something as simple as scissors

Imagine taking your whole life and sorting it into boxes, then taking some of those boxes and leaving them in a dark room. The other boxes, not nearly enough of them, get to go on a trip, but you can't have them right away. And all the while, as you're waiting for the boxes you didn't pack enough of, you don't have those items and you start to realise how many things you use in a day. 

 

I was sitting in Claire's bedroom this evening and happened to glance at her desk. There, hanging from a hook in the most casual manner, was a pair of scissors. Do you know how many times I've needed to use a pair of scissors in the last week!? Do you have any idea how much easier life would have been if I hadn't had to use nail clippers and cuticle trimmers in lieu of such a simple tool?? You cannot even begin to imagine how many different scenarios and uses for scissors I imagined, beyond my most immediate needs, when I thought about having full-time access to a pair of glorious scissors.

 

This is what moving has done to me: I now covet scissors. I almost asked to borrow them.

 

Wanna know the worst part? I am 100% certain that my favourite pair of Fiskers scissors went into a box that went into a dark room, not to be seen for two years. *facepalm* On the bright side, I get to go scissor shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment