26 August 2011

A little underwhelmed

I've stalled a little....did you notice? First of all, I've told next to no one where to find this, so I know that I'm writing without the pressure of a dedicated audience (save for the few who have found me, clever you!). And I've also found it hard to write about the unknown. In many ways aspects of this trip are completely unknown to me yet and I have this notion in my head that I must write about the concrete and in multiple paragraphs with deep insight.

I'm going to blame this fixation on the other, more talented writers in my life whom I'm terribly fortunate to know, such as Wayne K Spear and Joel Crary. Every day as my RSS reader picks up stories from their respective blogs I am equal parts eager to read and dread to be reminded of my own languishing blog. Truth be told, both of these men are writers. It is their actual occupation and it's unfair for me to make comparisons between their output and my own. It's like repainting the bathroom and then throwing up my hands in disgust that I didn't recreate a faithful copy of "Le déjeuner sur l'herbe." I'm just that critical and unfair to myself.

Since I'm here though, I should point out that I have a notebook quickly being stuffed with ideas for writing and topics to explore. So, I'm getting there. If I can be permitted my awkward growing stage, I'm sure I'll find a way to maintain this that is both comfortable for me and interesting for you (the "you" who are already here and the "you" I will eventually share this with). For now that might mean getting up early to write....I read about this concept yesterday in an article that gave advice akin to the idea that an hour of work before noon is worth two after noon. Call me selfish, but I'd like that hour to belong to me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment