17 May 2012

Guest-less again

I just did some quick maths and in the last five months (really, the last four since we moved into the flat at the end of January), we've had eleven house guests. We've got another coming today and then my parents make it up for the London leg of their trip in early June...and more of James' family in July and on and on....

As a result of all this traffic, I've become pretty good at turning over our guest room and getting it up to scratch for the next arrival. I feel like I may have missed my calling in the hospitality industry...would you like mint for pillow?

While I certainly don't mind the constant influx of visitors, I'm going to have to get better at learning how to maintain my routine when guests come to visit. I cherish being able to get to the gym (and it's physio-related anyway, so I have to make it a priority) and also being on top of my game where our meals are concerned. I've noticed that when guests come I end up adopting their vacation mentality, which isn't going to bode well for me if our guest rate stays at this level. Just because people come to stay doesn't mean that my good habits should go out the window; I need to still make it a priority to take care of myself and James. I feel better when I take the time to care for myself and it isn't fair to me that I feel I can't take that time just because we have guests.

That said, I also need to get better at being a hands-off host. Obviously if guests want company for activities (and they ask me to accompany them) and they fit with my schedule, then yes, I'd love to go along. I've gotten to have some interesting experiences and learn some really neat stuff as a result of hosting so many different people for which I'm very thankful! It's been a fantastic by-product of this move and something I wouldn't give up for the world. But I need to learn that I can't make my guests' vacation into my vacation. I'm comfortable with the city, but I'm by no means a pro. I can't tell you what everything we pass happens to be or why something is the way it is...I'm still learning too! And aside from the whirlwind itinerary I'm planning for my folks, I can't feel pressured to making the plans for every guest who arrives at our doorstep. It's going to leave me feeling disappointed, upset and guilty and that's not cool. I can't take responsibility for everyone's vacation, nor should I feel obligated to ensure that everyone has a good time. That's out of my control.

So yeah, that's what I'm going to be working on in the coming months. Being a good host with reasonable limits. I suspect it will be much easier once I'm working since James' attitude is completely different and far more in line with the one I'd like to adopt.

No comments:

Post a Comment