2 May 2012

Hmm, the dishwasher could use more salt

I wish I was joking, but I'm serious. The dishwasher needs more salt. The hard reality of hard water is that apparently the dishwasher requires special salt to operate. And, because they require special salt, it means that I can't just use my never-run-out-until-you're-dead-or-maybe-even-later* supply of salt. I have to BUY MORE SALT. Groan.

When we moved in I read all the manuals for the appliances and made a note of the salt issue, but I didn't give it another thought until I went to clean the dishwasher. James, however, beat me to it and actually cleaned the dishwasher himself just a day earlier (there may be hope for him yet on the cleaning front!). 

Anyway, as I was marvelling at the fact that someone else had gotten to the grubby dishwasher seals before me, I noticed the salt compartment and thought back to what I'd read. I fished out the manual and tried to figure out how the dishwasher would tell me it needed more salt. Apparently it uses an indicator light. In fact, it uses the light on the control panel that has been very brightly on since we moved into the flat. In January. Oops.


Join me, when I finally make it to the grocery store, for another riveting salt-filled adventure. Alternatively, if Finish, whose dishwasher tabs we already use, would like to just send me a packet, that would be awesome too.

Also upcoming: I will talk at length about hard water. I know, you can hardly wait!


*A little nod to Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch. Thanks to my parents for reading to me all the time as a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment