24 July 2011

We're out of my shampoo

Seriously, this isn't as big a deal as the title makes it out to be, however, I ran out of shampoo. Ok, that's a lie, I ran out of the conditioner. But when they're a two-step treatment, when you're out of one, you might as well be out of both. And, of course, today was a hair washing day. So what does any of this have to do with London? Well, in a last-ditch effort to avoid using James' two-in-one that I will not name, I checked the cupboard for a miracle. As it turns out, I still had the shampoo and conditioner that I brought back from Italy! I set to work lathering up and remembered the ordeal of finding them in Italy and how in every country we've been to, we've always ended up searching for something completely pedestrian and how it's always an adventure.

I get the feeling that I will be living that experience, probably with hilarious results, over a period of a few months upon arriving in London. We won't be packing an arsenal of personal products in our suitcases and I sure as hell am not devoting precious cargo space to soap when I could be bringing over yet another "I can't possibly live without this" sort of item. So aside from our basic toiletries kit (James insists this is a "sponge kit"), we'll be stocking up upon arrival and the great product comparison will begin.

Now, don't try to assuage my lighthearted concerns with placating tones and reminders that they'll have many of the same items/brands. I've seen what a change in country (and thus market) can do to a product. Yes, favourite brand X exists there, but they call favourite item X something different and the packaging throws me off and I'm still standing in a chemists (pharmacy, mom) trying to piece together a memory of what I bought in Canada with the new offerings in England. And, let's be honest, they're not going to have my favourite body wash. That one is certain. So it's all trial and comically egregious error until we hit our groove. Good thing you get to follow along, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment