8 April 2012

Mehab. It's a real thing, I swear

Where have I been?! I basically just went through mehab. I'm not pointing fingers, but let's be honest, somewhere along the line I should have been given some pointers on how to grow up (guidance counsellors and parents, I'm looking at you). Since I didn't get the pointers, or wasn't listening or something, I have gone to mehab instead. It's kinda like rehab, only instead of correcting my behaviours where drugs/alcohol/whatever other vice are concerned, I took the time to learn all kinds of great new habits that I probably should have already picked up as an adult.

There, since I've made up mehab, I've also just made up the first step in the mehab treatment process: admit you are an adult. I'm already rocking this recovery plan. That I invented. Shut up.

So what did my mehab involve? Well, I could say I disconnected a little bit...but if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram or anywhere else online, you know that's sort of a fib. So basically, other than blogging, I was still around. But the blogging part was on my mind....I just wasn't in a place where I could produce output, you know? I spent a lot of time absorbing information and thinking about all sorts of things related to who I've become and what I would rather be (and what I do actually like about who I am). And I also covered some basics like learning how to walk again (thank you, amazing physiotherapist who is kicking my ass and correcting two years of injury issues) and how to eat again.

The eating thing is actually a huge one for me. There's this blogger, Danielle, over at Sometimes Sweet and back in the beginning of February she challenged her readers to eat clean. She also added the part about dropped sugar as it related to her, but since I have a sordid saccharine history, I included that in my plan too. This challenge coincided with moving into our flat and having almost nothing in our cupboards as well as me having all the time in the world, so it was the perfect way to embrace a new pattern of eating. And so we did. I've gone from a sugar-heavy diet of "I thought I ate really well" to turning my back on sugar and really embracing food changes that are more meaningful and beneficial for my body. To say that this has been a huge change is probably an understatement.

I've had serious improvements in my body, skin and moods and in the most recent two weeks, it has shown dramatically. We've had guests for a while now and my routines are off, which means my choices are bad and my diet has suffered. The hiccups are so evident and I'm hating how difficult it is to make better choices when my life is disrupted, so that's something I need to work toward overcoming. I truly believe spending more time in picking up recipes that I love and can make easily will make a difference on that front. Thankfully I've been exposed to so many amazing blogs and clean eating resources, so recipes are plentiful.

In any case, Danielle, some woman in the United States, whom I've never met (and likely never will), changed my life. The internet is powerful ya'll!

egg and feta kale bake - my favourite clean eating meal from Running to the Kitchen

And now I'm going to spend some of my Easter afternoon lying on the couch in a puddle of technicolour snot-filled tissues moaning to the internet about how I hate getting sick. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment