9 April 2012

More mehab. The Things.

It feels really good to know that people are still there after taking my big mehab break.

So let's recap. I inadvertently started a list of the steps for my own personal mehab. They're clearly not for everyone, but here's what I got out of my hiatus:

Step 1: admit you are an adult
Step 2: adjust your eating (I'll write more about clean eating and share my favourite recipes...but this won't become a food blog)
Step 3: clean the house. A lot.
When we moved from our house to a tiny little flat here in London, we didn't bring much with us. In fact, we had a massive yard sale (as you'll recall from a few whiny posts) and really pared down our lives. Well, after arriving here, I really can't think of very many items we put in storage that I actually want back. In fact, we've both made a very concerted effort to avoid amassing things. A prime example of this was Valentine's Day where we gave each other consumable items instead of crap that will sit around the flat collecting dust (me: scotch, him: macarons) Our flat is small, so that's helpful, but also, what are we really doing in buying all this stuff? Wouldn't we be happier with fewer things (maybe nicer ones of whatever we MUST buy) and more money to eat, travel etc.? Yes. I believe we would. So that's what we've been doing: not buying things. 

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it really is! Think about all those little bits and bobs that make it into your life and your house on a weekly basis. What do you really need to live? Not much, I can assure you. Even what we have right now is too much, but we're a work in progress. I can still look at things and admire them, but I don't need to fill my house with them to be happy. It's a pretty awesome and liberating feeling and after a couple of months of seriously weighing out purchases before they're made, we've done well and the manufactured "need" is dwindling. I have been drawn to a few items, but only those items we truly require have made it through our door.

As an example of this, we did have to buy end tables for the flat. The couch needed a solid-topped table for drinks. So we did buy those. But I chose ones with shelves that conceal the contents and are an easily-transportable shape. They'll work well in a future room should we have to move them. Also, they're a slick design and if you adopt the William Morris belief, they're a-ok:

"Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful and believe to be beautiful."

Kartell Componibili Round Tables by Anna Castelli Ferrieri from nest.co.uk

Where this all matters is in Step 3: clean the house. A lot. With fewer items in our house, I've found it way easier to keep clean and I've actually relished doing the housework. So much so that when I've got a regular, undisrupted week, I'm cleaning every second day. This is pretty revolutionary for me and a big part of mehab. I've always kept a clean house, but not necessarily a tidy one. Now I put things away as I finish using them and my clothing gets hung up every night before bed. I unpack my bags immediately after returning from a trip and in general I just get shit done. It may sound incredible that someone at my age needs to go through this, but I suspect I'm not alone.

Poor James has been doing these sorts of things for ages, so I can only imagine how secretly pleased he is that I'm finally stepping up. Also, I'm doing all his laundry, ironing his shirts and making his dinners. Forget secretly pleased. He better be vocally pleased about this!


In any case, when I feel like I'm more in control of my environment, I'm better able to handle situations. Thanks mehab!


1 comment:

  1. Who are you, what have you done with Katie, and, if you see her, tell her to pick up the shit she left all over the floor.

    ReplyDelete