16 April 2012

Missing Molly

We've returned from a weekend in Scotland and, more specifically, Edinburgh. If you've never been before, you might not know that there are images of, and references to, Greyfriars Bobby everywhere. The most iconic image, of course, is the little statue. We ran into it within minutes of checking into our accommodations:


I've left my little dog, Molly, back in Canada with my parents (along with cat, Penny and snail, Speedy) and am missing her terribly. Seeing Greyfriars Bobby everywhere I turned made me miss her all the more. And the adorable small dogs in smart tartan coats didn't help either. Poor James had to endure endless "awww"s each time we crossed paths with a dog and double "awww"s if the dog was attired in any sort of coat.

So I've sent Molly a postcard of the statue telling her just how much I miss her. You don't have to say it; I know what you're thinking. Don't worry, Molly doesn't use the computer much so I won't spoil anything for her by writing about it here.

Leaving the animals behind was a hard decision to make, but it's the best one. We didn't know where we'd be living and how much time/space we'd be able to give them once we settled in, so we put their needs first. They live in complete luxury at my parents' suburban home. Molly gets long walks and trips to the cottage. Penny gets her little box cleaned roughly four times a day (seriously, it's like this has become my dad's part time job) and she has more chairs and sunbeams than she knows what to do with. And Speedy gets peace and quiet and, since it makes life easier, a tank heater. 

My parents have been lovely enough to send photos pretty often to show us how they're getting on and I can honestly say, I don't think they've noticed our absence. We are visiting in September and I can't wait to give my dog a very big cuddle. In the mean time I'm going to watch the neighbourhood dogs wistfully and hope they bother to give me a look.

Penny antagonising Molly on one of the many chairs she's claimed as "hers"

Molly at the cottage, resting between bouts of duck chasing


No comments:

Post a Comment